Version 8 introduced a redesigned homepage for XLCubed Web Edition. This homepage has the same basic layout, but there are two variations. The Standard Edition will always look as per the screenshot below on the left. Enterprise Edition can be configured in the same way (default) or as in the screenshot on the right which introduces a richer UI with preview tiles and some additional user configuration through bookmarks. The richer UI is only available in the Enterprise version of XLCubed Web and when using a SQL Repository.
The main differences in the homepage between the two versions are
- Enterprise Edition provides report preview tiles.
- Enterprise Edition users can choose to display recent reports, popular reports, or their own bookmarked reports by using the toolbar at the top right. Bookmarks can be added to or removed from reports using the toolbar on the individual report tiles.
Enterprise SQL Repository Homepage
When you first connect to XLCubed Web Edition (the web address will depend upon your installation) you will see the Homepage:
The Homepage is divided into four main sections:
The toolbar is in two sections. On the left are navigational buttons that take you to various XLCubed screens. On the right are Report tools for manipulating the current report on screen.
In order the buttons are:
- Home - returns the main report area to the startup page.
- Create an AdHoc Grid - read more here.
- Create an Analytics Book - read more here.
- Help - opens the help file in a new window.
- Logout - exit the application.
- Expand / Collapse - resize the repository explorer on the left.
- Submit Changes - made to member selection or cells unlocked in Excel when published.
- Print - Create a Pdf of the current report.
- Export - To Excel.
- Download PowerPoint - read more here
- Save - To Repository.
- Save Custom View
- Refresh - re-run the open report to get the newest data.
The Tabs are found just below the XLCubed Web Edition banner. Initially no tabs are displayed. As you begin to explore reports you will see that as a report is opened or a new Ad Hoc report is created tabs will be added, allowing you to switch between reports, without having to return to the Homepage or Repository tab.
Once opened a report can be closed by clicking on the close icon on the right of the tab.
The Repository, on the left of the page, lets you explore the reports that have been published.
The Repository has buttons allowing you to:
- Refresh the file list - e.g. when you have published a new report.
- Search the Repository - Use * for wildcard searches.
Additionally, right-clicking on the reports allows you to:
- Rename the report (from v8.1)
- Delete the report (from v8.1)
The Report Area forms the bulk of the browser window and is where reports are displayed. Initially the Report Area displays the last five reports that you viewed. Error messages are also displayed here.
By default, the thumbnail image used to preview the report is generated automatically. (This image is taken the first time the user opens the report. This approach ensures that image will only contain data the user has permission to see.) This can, however, produce an undesirable image depending on the report size, content etc.
This image can be changed by opening the publisher window in Excel. Right click on the relevant report and select 'Manage'. Under the 'Preview Image' tab you can then either create a snapshot of a range of the report, load an image such as a company logo etc. or paste an image from the clipboard. You also have the option to blur the image.