SQL Slicers (Administrators)
|This page describes SQL Slicers for SQL Administrators. For Standard SQL Users, please see SQL Slicers (Standard Users).|
SQL slicers allow you to take data and metadata from your relational data sources (for example, SQL Server) and use it to easily make selections on linked reports.
Four display options are provided:
Using Slicers for Table Parameters
To automatically add a linked Slicer:
- Select XLCubed > Edit Parameters... from the table's right-click menu
- Select <Add new slicer> or <Add published slicer> from the dropdown for the parameter you would like to drive using a slicer:
- Create or select the query to use to return the ID, caption and depth columns. The first column will be used as the parameter; the second will be displayed in the Slicer itself. If you have selected a treeview-style slicer, the depth column will control the item's depth.
- Select a range to insert the Slicer
- When you accept the dialogs, the new Slicer will be available for input
As with Dimension Slicers, standalone slicers can be added using the XLCubed > Slicer > SQL... ribbon button. These can be used to place their output into an Excel range, or can be linked to one or more SQL data tables, as described above.
Tree Slicers for Hierarchical Data
Data returned from a relational database can be displayed in a hierarchical form using tree slicers. More information on how to construct these can be found on Constructing a Tree Slicer For SQL.